I am perpetually setting goals, making wishes, and working towards dreams. Here are a few for the new year:
1. Take another step towards true vegetarianism by finally kicking seafood to the curb. I ate fish or shrimp a few times a month throughout 2011, and now feel ready to leave it behind. I might occasionally eat oysters, scallops, or clams (I have fewer moral qualms about eating bivalves), but hopefully not often, if at all.
2. Donate platelets 10+ times. I managed 5-6 donations in 2011, and it’s getting easier every time. I really want to get to once a month, and then in future years, maybe twice a month.
3. Leave the house more. More theater outings, more visits with friends, more new experiences in LA and other places. More travel unrelated to my writing career would be awesome. In short, more adventures.
4. Find a way to work fewer hours in general, so I have more time for writing, reading, and spending quality time with myself and others. Can’t burn the candle at both ends forever.
5. Enjoy my book release and enjoy having a book out. This one is much harder than it sounds, as it’s so easy to get mentally embroiled in sales and marketing and Internet buzz…or the lack of all those things… and slip into dark places. Although it seems as if it will take Herculean effort, I want to let the bad stuff slide away and revel in the good.
As for wishes and dreams?
I hope the people I love have more ups than downs in 2012, and that the downs are manageable and the ups are breathtaking.