First Fan Art

Samantha Ling is an amazing friend. Not only did she read and critique an early draft of Above World, she has offered all kinds of support and friendship every step of the way. In fact, I’ve even hidden a mention of her the book itself as a small thank you. Now Sam has done something incredible: she’s created the first-ever fan art* for Above World. Behold!

Fan art by Samantha Ling: Aluna from Above World

When I first saw this picture, my heart overflowed. Besides the cover, it’s the first time I’ve seen someone else’s vision of the book and characters. And it’s a fantastic picture, right? The colors, the composition, the look in Aluna’s eyes, the shark!… Wow. I’m humbled and grateful and entirely overwhelmed. This is going to be my computer wallpaper for a long, long time.

Good friends: even better than mermaids.

* Sam wanted me to mention that her depiction of Aluna was inspired by Strangeling who sells lots of great prints on her website.

Comments

Brooklyn 5 years ago .

WOW! That’s awesome! Congrats Jenn, and great job Samantha! Love the colors and detail. What a defining moment for you. Fun stuff!

Jenn Reese 5 years ago .

Thanks so much, Brooklyn! I’ve always dreamed of getting fan art, but actually getting felt even better than I’d imagined. I’m on cloud 9.

Lisa Moore 5 years ago .

awesome art!!

Jenn Reese 5 years ago .

Sam is amazing! I am so happy. :)

Sally Felt 5 years ago .

Wow! Oh, wow!

Jenn Reese 5 years ago .

I know, right? Right??? I can’t even describe what it’s like to look at this.

cindy 5 years ago .

this is fabulous! i love it!!
congrats jenn and hoorah–to ling too!

Christine Ashworth 5 years ago .

Beautiful! Your words inspire, my lady!

Burgandy Ice 5 years ago .

Beautiful!! I used your beautiful picture in my book review!! (I hope that’s ok?!) http://www.burgandyice.blogspot.com/2012/02/review-above-world-by-jenne-reese.html

Jenn Reese 5 years ago .

Hi Laura!

Thanks for giving Above World a read, and for the incredibly thorough review! It’s totally fine to use the artwork — thanks so much for asking.

Jenn :-D

• Pingback:

• Ireland Bosworth 3 years ago .

Hi Jenn, I really loved your book Above World. It’s unlike any Sci fi I’ve ever read, and I am a voracious reader. And normally I hate Science Fiction , but I couldn’t put this book down. I had to do a book project on a science fiction book and I chose Above world for it. My project was a comic book, with the main events of Above World drawn out. I was wondering if I could send you the completed result in the mail because you don’t have much fan art for your book yet. If I can, I need your adress. Ireland Bosworth, age 13

Jenn Reese 3 years ago .

Hi Ireland! I’m so honored that you picked Above World for your project, and I would absolutely LOVE to see a copy! My address is: Jenn Reese, PO Box 571862, Tarzana, CA 91357. I looooove comics, and can’t wait to see what you’ve done! Thank you so much for stopping by my website. I’m very excited!

Comments are closed.