2009: Holiday Albums

I didn’t buy any new holiday music this year, but here are some of my favorites (in no particular order) in case you’re looking for something different.

2009: HOLIDAY ALBUMS

Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas Bells of Dublin Joy, A Holiday Collection Holiday Songs and Lullabies

Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas (Ella Fitzgerald)
What’s not to love about Ella Fitzgerald? She infuses this collection of classics with such jazzy joy that even the Scrooge sitting next to me can’t help humming along and tapping his toes.

The Bells of Dublin (The Chieftains)
This has been my go-to album for years and years. There’s such a great energy in many of the songs, and a wonderful mix of traditional and obscure tunes.

Joy, A Holiday Collection (Jewel)
This is a very traditional album, but Jewel’s voice is so pure and beautiful that it really won me over.

Holiday Songs and Lullabies (Shawn Colvin)
A very mellow album perfect for the background. Put this on to sip eggnog by treelight or candlelight and you will feel a tranquility rarely experienced in the bustle of everyday life.

Looking for something a little more offbeat? Try:

Boogie Woogie Christmas Harry for the Holidays We Three Kings

Boogie Woogie Christmas (The Brian Setzer Orchestra)
Harry for the Holidays (Harry Connick, Jr.)
We Three Kings (The Roches)

Now hit me with your favorites!

Comments

Tim Pratt 8 years ago .

Barenaked Ladies, Barenaked for the Holidays! Really fun stuff. And Jill Sobule's Xmas EP It's the Thought that Counts has some good covers and originals. And, of course, Snoop Dogg (et al.)'s Christmas in the Dogg House, featuring "Santa Claus Goes Straight to the Ghetto".

Tom Schmidt 8 years ago .

Christmas must always include Nat King Cole and Jose Feliciano or it just isn't the same. Trans Siberian Orchestra's Christmas Eve and Other Stories is our modern tradition.

Tom Schmidt 8 years ago .

ooh and I can't beleve I forgot Johnny Mathis's Christmas album.

Jenn Reese 8 years ago .

Tim: I have the Barenaked Ladies CD but I don't like it very much! I find that I skip songs from that album more than I listen to them. But I'll check out Jill Sobule and Snoop Dogg!

Tom: Ooh, thanks for the recs! I don't have any of those!

Tim Pratt 8 years ago .

(Actually, I misremembered, Snoop's version of Santa Claus Goes Straight to the Ghetto isn't on his Xmas album.)

Shelley 8 years ago .

Twisted Christmas

White is in the Winter Night (single from Enya)

Mannheim Steamroller Christmas

Fresh Aire Christmas (Mannheim Steamroller)

Nick at Nite: A Classic Cartoon Christmas

And, of course, the Nightmare Before Christmas! :-D

Jenn Reese 8 years ago .

Shelley, I'm noticing a few themes in your selections… :-D

Brenda Smith 8 years ago .

Best Traditional xmas Album ever. Croon & Swoon Christmas Vol. 1. Old school, classic xmas tunes. Mix that and some TSO, I am a happy person. :)

Jenn Reese 8 years ago .

"TSO"?

I'll check out Croon & Swoon Christmas — I've never even heard of it before!

Brenda Smith 8 years ago .

TSO = Trans Siberian Orchestra. :) Sorry, I live in a world of abbreviations. Thanks for the tip on Mr. Heatmiser, Jade loves that one!

Comments are closed.